Monday, January 20, 2014

Back in Action

Two weeks of being back in Valencia since our vacation!  If you read my last 3 blogs detailing our trip, you’ll know that we had an amazing trip to Germany.  I still beam retelling of our time when people ask.  I didn’t mention though that we stopped in Barcelona for about 4 hours during our plane to train exchange.  We hadn’t prepared for what we were going to do.  So after we made it to the train station and locked up our bag in a locker we saw a fancy old building in the distance and decided to walk that direction.  It turned out to be the Palau Nacional, a gorgeous Italian-style building sitting on top of a hill which allowed us a beautiful view of Barcelona just as the sun was setting, leaving us with a glorious sunset to enjoy from the top of the hill!  And believe me, after all those stairs we had to climb to get up there, the beautiful view was a duly received reward!  From there we walked to the 1992 Olympic Stadium which was quite near to the Palau. This was actually really cool for me because the 1992 Olympics were the first I recall watching.  We had just enough time to make it one time around the stadium, stop for a few pictures and head back to the station.  Jake and I were both very excited about this brief visit, and plan to go back someday soon to see a little more.  

We pulled up to the Valencia train station around 11:30pm.  Unfortunately the metro system was closed for the night already. So we decided it wasn’t that far to ride bikes. We dispersed our stuff between our big duffle bag and tote bag my mom sent to Germany for me for Christmas.  (Thanks, Mom!!)  Jake, of course, carried the majority of the stuff, and it was pretty amusing to watch him try to ride with 30-40 pounds worth of duffle bag in his front basket throwing off his balance and blocking his view!  Luckily, no bike accidents to end our journey.  We made it home around 12:30am, and felt so pleased to be home.

The next day, we went first thing to the bank to pay our rent.  However, we were surprised to find everything closed.  It was Monday!  Why was it all closed?  Not until later did we realize how silly we looked desperately pulling on the bank and store doors trying to see if anything was open.  Turns out that January 6th is one of the biggest holidays of the year. Around here, Dia del Reyes is as important and highly celebrated as Christmas.  Kids get the majority of presents on this day in celebration of the Kings, or Wisemen, bringing gifts to baby Jesus.  We had no idea.  Had we known, we would have left a little food in the house for our return.  With no grocery stores open we ended up eating rice all day because we had literally nothing else.  At dinner time we caved and found ourselves a Chinese Restaurant open.  So we ended up celebrating Dia del Reyes with Chinese take-out and curling up to an alien-invasion movie.  

I started back with my English lessons that Wednesday.  I think I’m enjoying teaching a little more now that I have a bit of a system and rhythm to it.  Plus, I’m getting to know the families which is nice.  One girl, who I thought hated the lessons, and thus disliked me, wrote me a little note (in Spanish) saying that it’s hard for her when I only speak to her in English because she doesn’t understand.  But then at the bottom she wrote that she loves me.  That made me feel good, and I think I’ve begun to figure out how to bond with her a little more.  Another little girl is the happiest, cutest, brightest little girl in the world.  She is only 6, but not afraid to try to speak in English.  She laughs at everything, and can’t stop smiling and giggling.  She puts me in a good mood every time I’m with her.  Her dad is a police officer in Valencia, and does not speak any English.  However, he is patient with me trying to understand his Spanish. Last week, he was talking to me for about half an hour after the lesson telling me what cities I need to go see in Spain before I leave.  He was pulling up pictures on his phone, and so excited to tell me about these beautiful places.  This was 2 days after returning from Germany, and I thought I wasn’t going to remember any Spanish when we got back.  Well, with this conversation I was thrown back into the fire.  He even suggested that Jake and I go with their family to Sevilla over Easter Break since Jake would not have school.  I’d actually consider the offer if he still remembers by April. Their house is far away in the suburbs, and they have to drive me to the metro station each week after the lesson. I actually really enjoy this time to practice my Spanish because all the other parents speak to me in English.  Last Thursday, he told me that we couldn’t have a lesson the following week because he would be out of town all week at a police training.  I asked him what kind of training.  He said training for public protests.  He demonstrated/explained about using those plastic transparent shields to protect themselves and push back protesters with the those rubber pellet guns.  I tried to ask him if they were expecting some kind of major public protests soon, but I couldn’t figure out how to ask it in Spanish.  But it certainly got me thinking.  I know many are unhappy here with some policy changes and budget cuts they’re making because of Spain financial crisis.  We’ll see I guess.

I’m still teaching my adult conversation class at an English school, and really enjoying that.  We have a good time together, and I love how the students participate in my lesson plans.  I’m figuring out a rhythm for that class as well.  Every week we do a vocabulary, dictation, and pronunciation exercises followed by a time of personal sharing, role playing, or a group activity. Apparently one student told my contact how great my class was.  :)  Though this is my lowest paying gig and the one I prepare for the most I’m happy for the opportunity.

This week, I also taught a violin lesson to one of my former Spanish classmates.  He was telling me how he trying to teach himself the violin, and I told him how I used to play and teach the violin.  The following day he started asking me how to change the strings because he broke one.  The next day he asked me how to hold the violin properly.  And soon I was drawing out violin charts and finger patterns for him during our break.  Right before I left the school he asked if I’d be willing to give him some lessons here and there after Christmas break.  I told him to contact after the break if he wanted.  So that he did.  We had one lesson this week, and it was a little strange for me being the first time teaching an adult.  But it was fun for me, and I realized how much more comfortable I am teaching beginning violin than I am teaching beginning English!

Speaking of new jobs, we have some very exciting news!! Jake received a Graduate Assistantship in the ICC (International Career Center).  They announced this open position at the end of last semester.  Just a few weeks after Jake and I were discussing that we think he could handle a campus job.  Last summer they sent out an email for the open graduate assistantships, such as working the computer labs, library, etc.  Since Jake didn’t know where he’d stand in the program and whether he’d be struggling with a big learning curve or not, he decided to not apply for any jobs.  We wanted to make sure he could invest as needed into his coursework.  Well, Jake has proven himself to be on par with his classmates and up to speed with the workload and learning curve.  Knowing all the campus jobs were already filled, Jake went to talk to the Dean to let him know that if anyone dropped out of their campus position, Jake was interested in an assistantship.  A couple weeks later, this position pops up in the ICC.  Jake was so excited because he knew he could be one of the top candidates.  A) He understands career development having been in the workforce for the past decade, and B) he was the student out of all of Berklee to attend nearly all of the ICC meetings last semester.  Granted the free pizza and coke did help lure him to the weekly meetings.  But hey, looks like his scavenging, along with interest in career development paid off!  The position is all about helping to connect students with work opportunities after they graduate.  So basically, he’ll be getting paid to network for 10 hours a week!  He was really excited after his interview last week once he learned about the project he’d be working on.  So we are super excited for this opportunity along with the extra cash!  

So things are looking positive around here, including with our friends both from school and church.  Last week we went out with two couples for some drinks and appetizers.  The married couple, Jared and Gabi, who live 3 doors down from us are becoming close friends.  They are from Missouri, I believe, and planning to move to LA after this year.  Gabi is my contact for the English School job and some other jobs I’ve interviewed for.  Alessandro and Emma are the other couple who joined us.  Alessandro is from Italy, and Emma is his girlfriend who lives here working as a translator, though she’s from the UK.  We mesh so well with these couples, and I’m super excited for these blossoming friendships.  Then last night Jared and Gabi had a big crew of the film scoring people over.  Of course being only 3 doors down, we were the first to arrive.  But instead of that awkward state thinking “when are the others going to arrive”, it was almost a relief have a little time to hang out, just the 4 of us.  When the entourage arrived we continued having the best time.  I had so many amazing conversations last night, and I’m really surprised that I feel nearly as connected with these people as Jake.  It almost feels as if I’m the one going through the film scoring program with them. Jake has been so good at bringing me into all his projects, so I feel invested along with him and all his classmates.

Last week when we arrived back at church after our 3 week hiatus, I was overwhelmed by the warm welcome back, as if we were actually missed.  People I don’t even know very well were asking about our trip, and the people we do know well seemed overjoyed to see us.  I was actually a little nervous coming back, wondering if after Christmas the newness of our foreign American presence would be worn off, as if people’s warmth and kindness may be tempered by time and familiarity.  I was so wrong.  It feels like time and familiarity has not tempered, but amped up people’s warmth and kindness.  At church Bonnie invited Jake and I to go watch a Flamenco band and dancer at the bar on Thursday night.  So Bonnie, Maria Elisa, Jake and I went. When we walked in and Jake and I both had the same feeling… it could have been a Covela show that we were going to watch.  We literally could have been in some club in LA or Phoenix.  However, there was a great audience for this small Flamenco band and a fabulous Flamenco dancer.  I was captivated the whole time.  The 4 of us had such a good time together.  I just love being with these girls so much!

On Wednesdays, I’m going over to Maria Elisa’s house to work on Spanish before I go teach my English classes.  It’s so gracious of her to take this time with me.  I was in a bad mood all day on Wednesday.  But after leaving her place I was so happy and inspired.  She’s the type of person who has a confidence and radiance that just makes you gravitate toward her. She’s the life of the party, yet one who is always encouraging and embracing others.  I have to say we are very blessed with the friendships.  Now we’re just trying to convince MariEli that she needs to move to Los Angeles since she’s out of a job right now, and trying to figure out what’s next for her in life.  

Lastly, I just wanted to mention that this morning was also special in church because I got to sing in the worship band. They are now rotating vocalist from the choral group into the worship band each week. Today was my first day, and it was a lot of fun. I’m sure congregation thought it was funny that I can’t speak in Spanish, but I’m sure happy to sing in Spanish if asked.  Luckily, I think everyone gathers that it’s a lot easier to understand repetitive and simply-phrased songs than it is to catch even a little dialogue of native speakers.

So tomorrow, Jake starts his new classes, and I, no longer having Spanish classes every morning, will continue attempting to carry out my newly organized morning regiment of spiritual, physical, educational, and professional development as I pursue more edifying uses of my free time this new year.  We’re off to a good start this new year!

1 comment:

  1. Robin, you have no idea how much we look forward to and enjoy your blogging! I can't believe Jake got a job in the Career Center! The Lord sure loves you two!

    And we do too!

    Don and Deb

    ReplyDelete